I was scheduled for an interview with Target today at 11am. I dressed nicely, got there very early, and was told they weren't interviewing today, come back next week. I stood with my mouth open.
I refrained from saying anything negative and walked away. I will have to think about whether I want to work for Target now. Of course, if nothing comes up between now and then, I will go back.
I got several leads from the NC Employment and Securities Commission, one of which required that I fill out an application online. I did so, and it was the longest online application I've ever taken, because they required me to take 2 assessments, one a personality assessment, the other testing math and verbal skills. I passed with flying colors. I've put the assessment they sent me at the end of this blog. I had a message waiting for me when I got home last night, but I have been unable to reach them to schedule an interview.
I am still waiting to hear from the one I interviewed with last Thursday. In that case, I expect my credit report worked against me. I'm not happy about that, but I have no control over it right now.
I am still trying to get in touch with a company in Charleston about an interview. I've been trying for a month. It sounds familiar, but really it's a case of phone tag, and not having a phone where I can be reached direct.
But I'm still working on leads. It has been a long road, and I do see an end to it, hopefully soon.
This is what I received after taking the evaluation:
Behavioral science has proven that the most successful people are those who know themselves, both their strengths and weaknesses. This knowledge is important to them as they develop the strategies necessary to meet the demands and challenges of achieving success.
The purpose of this report is to help you to identify and make full use of your strengths, and to help you develop an awareness of any areas that could be limiting your effectiveness. The goal of this report is to help you to achieve greater success for yourself.
The report gives you a Profile of the Total Person
· Thinking Style – Learning index, Verbal Skill, Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Ability, and Numeric Reasoning.
· Behavioral Traits – Energy Level, Assertiveness, Sociability, Manageability, Attitude, Decisiveness, Accommodating, Independence, and Objective Judgment.
· Interests – Enterprising, Financial/Administrative, People Service, Creative, Technical, and Mechanical.
The information in your report can be useful in planning a self improvement program for your professional development and personal growth.
A Profile of the Total Person
Learning Index (An index of expected learning, reasoning and problem solving potential.)
· Your understanding and utilization of new information will be better than most individuals in the general population.· You are an effective learner in most situations.· You handle fairly complex tasks with relative efficiency, demonstrating strong problem-solving abilities.· You generally learn by paying attention to detail and determining how the information applies to various relevant areas of your work.
Verbal Skill (A measure of verbal skill through vocabulary.)
· You have a sound understanding of everyday communication processes.· You can build on your foundation as the particular communication skills required in performing the job become familiar.· You show strong potential for developing existing skills with communication.· You should be competent in making analyses involving written and verbal data.
Verbal Reasoning (Using words as a basis in reasoning and problem solving.)
· You assimilate verbal information fairly rapidly when compared to the general population.· You should communicate thoughts and ideas to others effectively.· You are proficient in information gathering and expression of thoughts and ideas.· You probably prefer to work with verbal information.
Numerical Ability (A measure of numeric calculation ability.)
· You show strong potential for developing existing skills with numbers.· You can build on your basic foundation as the particular calculations required in performing the job become familiar.· You have a sound understanding of basic mathematical processes and are able to mentally figure some numeric combinations.· You should be competent in making mental estimations involving numerical data.
Numeric Reasoning (Using numbers as a basis in reasoning and problem solving.)
· You work well with numbers and numerical concepts.· You complete numerical problems with comparable success to the general population.· You grasp numerical concepts readily.· You demonstrate a relatively strong ability to solve problems of a numerical nature.
Energy Level (Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.)
· You act with a sense of urgency under routine conditions.· You are moderately energetic; your work pace will show few peaks and valleys.· You are capable of taking action in a timely manner.· In general, you focus on timely results.
Assertiveness (Tendency to take charge of people and situations. Leads more than follows.)
· You tend to prefer solutions that are not risky and that have been proven to be effective in the past.· You are careful in asserting yourself, tending to be more of a follower than a leader.· You sometimes need to be in charge and to be the leader, but not in all situations.· You tend to be a good listener, to be more comfortable as a participant in a group rather than the leader.
Sociability (Tendency to be outgoing, people-oriented and participate with others.)
· You are quick to initiate relationships, to interact easily. You generally fit in with all types of people.· You are highly inclined to promote the benefits of teamwork. You tend to confer with others and to involve the team in the discussion of how things will be done.· You spend a great amount of time interacting with people, engaging them in conversation and being concerned with interpersonal relationships. You would find it extremely challenging to work in isolation from other people.· Your sociability is highly compatible with establishing a network of contacts. You are open to others, approachable and quick to share feelings and ideas.
Manageability (Tendency to follow policies, accept external controls and supervision and work within the rules.)
· You express a positive attitude concerning organizational constraints and restrictions.· Your need for autonomy and independence is superseded by your respect for authority.· You are highly cooperative and agreeable, quite willing to accept supervision and external controls.· You readily accept authority and rules, demonstrating a cooperative and friendly interpersonal style.
Attitude (Tendency to have a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.)
· You express a positive attitude regarding supervision and external controls.· You have a highly positive attitude concerning risk, change and unexpected challenges.· Your attitude is highly compatible with confronting interpersonal problems and frustrations.· You demonstrate a highly positive attitude regarding changes in policies and procedures.
Decisiveness (Uses available information to make decisions quickly.)
· You stand firm on some decisions and may not be inclined to back down once a decision is made, unless under pressure.· You are capable of responding to an emergency and of solving problems in a timely manner.· You are not inclined to delay important decisions.· You are typically decisive and effective in positions that require timely results.
Accommodating (Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable. To be a team person.)
· You are quick to accommodate others and to avoid interpersonal conflict.· You are highly motivated by an informal, positive and relaxed work environment.· You share a high commitment to reducing conflict and establishing cooperation. You are comfortable working as part of a team and with sharing ideas and information.· You may tend to minimize serious problems and negative information. You are quick to seek solutions that are acceptable to everyone.
Independence (Tendency to be self-reliant, self-directed, to take independent action and make own decisions.)
· You are comfortable with the normal restraints of organizational life.· You generally prefer to follow established procedures.· You are willing to function in a coordinated, interrelated way, wanting to participate in group decision-making.· You are usually satisfied with the status quo and are comfortable working within the system.
Objective Judgment (The ability to think clearly and be objective in decision-making.)
· You are highly inclined to make considered judgments, applying experience to current problems and situations.· You demonstrate a consistent tendency to take an objective view and to adjust judgment as needed to reach accurate conclusions.· Judgment and decisions on your part should indicate highly consistent usage of your thinking capabilities.· You are likely to show sound judgment under pressure.
Your interest results are focused in the Creative, Technical and People Service themes. This is the pattern of an individual who enjoys the creative aspects of dealing with people and technology or theories. One would expect such an individual to be drawn toward technical opportunities, especially as such technical information applies to the service and improvement of people's lives. You are likely to be attracted to the opportunity to use creative thinking toward such endeavors.
Boy was that last part right. That's all for today.